Five on Friday: 5 Tips for Creating a Healthy Salad
View this email in your browser
Forward
Five On Friday
Five On Friday
This is the first of my weekly emails! Every Friday I aim to start your weekend out right with 5 Nutrition Tips.

Today my "5" are 5 tips for Creating a Healthy Salad.
Pick one (or more!) foods from each group!

1. Start with a Foundation of Greens.
There are so many great greens. Switch it up. Try romaine, arugula, frisee, spinach, kale, dandeion, mesclun greens, spring mix or any mix of green lettuces. Limit iceberg which lacks many nutrients.

2. Add More Vegetables.
Every vegetable has it's own nutrient profile. Switch it up so you don't get bored. Look for new varieties at both the grocery store and farmer's market.  Besides the every day carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers try: fennel, watercress, hearts of palm, artichokes, sugar snap peas, beets, green onions, eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, radishes, onions, and/or sun-dried tomatoes.

3. Add Protein.
This makes it a meal to help keep you full. Add animal sources: lean meats (lean beef, boneless skinless chicken, turkey), fish (wild salmon, tuna, crab, shrimp), eggs or dairy (feta, goat or mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese). You can also add vegetarian sources: beans (kidney, edamame, garbanzo, pinto, black, navy), lentils, tofu, tempeh or seitan. Limit the high fat cheeses and bacon bits.

4. Add Carbohydrates.
This gives you energy! Try healthy grains (quinoa, farro, freekah, brown rice pasta, barley, bulgur, amaranth, brown rice, sweet potatoes), or fruit (berries, melon, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, peaches, figs, pomegranate seeds, dried apricots). Skip the dried fruit laden with sugar and white, refined grains (croutons, tortilla strips, white pasta).

5. Add Healthy Fats.
Fat is essential to absorb the nutrients in your veggies. Try a sprinkle of seeds (flax, chia, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin), avocado, oil and vinegar dressing or unsalted nuts (almonds, pistachios, cashews, pecans, pine nuts), tahini, pesto or olives.  Make your own healthy salad dressing (1 part oil + 1 part vinegar + herbs (garlic, lemon, dill, parsley, mint, cilantro, mustard, basil).

Enjoy! :)
Forward
For Information/Appointments: simplenutritionwithsarah@gmail.com

www.simplenutritionwithsarah.com

Copyright © 2013 *Simple Nutrition with Sarah* All rights reserved.

Comments

Nutritionist are very important for the people of the society. The children's of the society always want and demands good nutrients for their growth and health.

12/06/2016 8:24am

Everyday should be a nutritious day to live to. It's great how you live everyday to lessen the possible sickness that might come your way. Thanks for sharing a blog on what we can adapt for the everyday nutrition that is needed by our body. Most people doesn't need to have a diet to be healthy, they just need to know what they need to eat for their body.

05/22/2017 8:58pm

I'm not really a fan of greens. That's why it gives me a really hard time, I've done a lot of adjustments and sacrifices. I'm a little bit used to greens now but there are still times that I still want to puke. I missed eating beef and chicken. But, you know what they say, we'll reap what we sow. So, I'll do my best to eat healthy and am looking forward for the best result!

This is a very helpful blog. I truly love this. I am a healthy living person, so that I'm happy to see that this blog share some nutrition fact to try. Healthy Salad is the common food that a healthy person eats. Every word has a useful benefit for the readers. I will share this information with my family and friends. I hope that they will love this blog more than I do.

04/24/2016 1:58pm

Mostly people use the salad in their food for taste, or the peoples just eat salad to lose their weight and burn the fats from their body. The sharing tips are help to make salad perfect and that is perfect healthy diet.

10/24/2016 4:48am

I appreciate these useful tips. I will remember and use them in the future.

02/23/2017 5:16am

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable. Great posts. I love this article.

For dressing, you can use CBD Oil which is rich in health benefits and a natural oil. CBD Oil does not have any side effects. As it is taken as a health supplement, dosage is important. To start use minimal oil if do not have any health disorder.

04/05/2017 1:24am

Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that is associated with the exposure to asbestos. It is known as the most aggressive and the most difficult to treat type of cancer. The reason is this that it is diagnosed very late and sometimes the patient does not have an idea of the period in which he was exposed to asbestos and this disease started to grow in his body.

05/03/2017 2:11am

Glyphosate is the key chemical ingredient in Monsanto's RoundUp .... dose of glyphosate in my salads, sushi, and chicken tikka masala.

05/03/2017 1:49pm

I like the way you described the topic with such clarity. Thanks for Describing Everything.

09/07/2017 6:01am

Thank you very much, it's very important issue for us.

some place the substance fabric material of the blog encompassed by means of little contentions. indeed it's miles healthy for perusers. they're ready to exemplify this type of dialect in their written work aptitudes further to in the meantime as gathering convey in school.

Awesome post! Really enjoyed this post. But I want more information on such valuable topic.

10/13/2017 2:06pm